Monday 10 December 2007

31,627 subscribers can't be wrong

Joel Spolsky on the success of Joel on Software:

It was successful because I used a slightly larger font than the average website, making it easy to read. It’s always hard to figure out how many people read the site, especially when you don’t bother counting them, but typical articles on that site get read by somewhere between 100,000 and a million people, depending on how popular the topic is.
Let me know if the new font size is painfully big.

6 comments:

Gareth LovesTha Pye said...

I hope that quote is at least slightly sarcastic, he gets alot of hits because he writes about interesting stuff in a good style.

Andrew Doull said...

Good thing that's just as easy to fix then ;)

Aron Murray said...

I'm liking it

Mikolaj said...

I always run my Firefox with minimal font size set to something big, like 20, so I didn't get the difference. However, the colors are nice. Good luck . :)

humpolec said...

Sorry, but to me it IS painfully big. :)

Ate said...

It's not at all painfully large, but I would personally limit the width of the paragraph, if you look at joel's site you can see a narrow paragraph width, somewhere between 8 and 12 words it probably is. This makes for much better reading as this helps your eyes staying on the right line when reading. Books are hardly ever printed all over the page and magazines always use columns, it just increases readability.

btw. First post here, nice blog!