Wednesday 23 January 2008

Results for 'Choose a class'; new poll

As I mentioned previously, I conceded defeat on this poll. 222 of you decided just to vote for it instead. The results were:

Soldier
32 (14%)
Spy
28 (12%)
Scientist
24 (10%)
Tinker
30 (13%)
Tailor
12 (5%)
Sailor
17 (7%)
Beggar
21 (9%)
Wizard
42 (18%)
Thief
36 (16%)
Mesmerist
18 (8%)
Paraphysicist
18 (8%)
Politician
13 (5%)
Roboticist
30 (13%)
Press ? for help
54 (24%)
Other
14 (6%)

I haven't had much in the way of response as to why you chose the class you did. Feel free to provide feedback in the comments.

The next poll: 'Which character generation method do you prefer?'. I think I'll have to provide concrete examples for this one to help explain what I mean by each choice.

Hopefully I've accommodated everything around character generation.

3 comments:

Anders Hällzon said...

I didn't participate in the "Choose a class" poll, but I think you made a good point in the post explaining it. I personally tend to pick a fighter class to have hands-on experience to attach the help to when I get around to reading it.

(A similar problem is that of stats, if they don't follow AD&D conventions (the 3-18 scale) or are denoted with words (like NetHack's skill levels). "How high is good?")

Anyway, for the current poll, I picked "pre-generated character" and "choose career, class (and/)or race at start". The intricate character generation of ADOM and Incursion has a place, but I prefer to just pick a class and go.

(Or at least be able to reincarnate my former chars at level 1 like Incursion lets you do.)

I don't even feel like picking a name. A decent name generator like Incursion's can do a lot better than me. I'll just name the bloke after myself if I have to.

Joshua Smyth said...

I chose 'Thief' because I almost always to in RPGs. Probably because they tend to be able to explore more than the other characters due to picking locks and sneaking into places etc... I think it goes back to Quest for Glory.

Robert said...

When playing a new game, I don't mind being faced with choices whose results can only be discovered through experimentation. But it is nice when the following are observed.

(1) Most experiments produce at least some immediate feedback.

(2) If the domain space of possible experiments is large, even experimental results that are not directly useful should point towards possibly fruitful avenues of further exploration.

(3) The risk/reward ratio of experimentation should be reasonable.