For those of you coming from the newsgroup and can't be bothered reading the long article, here's a summary of my recommendations:
- Eliminate potions/staffs of cure light wounds and cure serious wounds.
- Replace *Healing* with Restore Health, which cures 100% of the players hit points, but does not restore any status effects (cuts, stun, confusion, etc.). However make Restore Health appear earlier in the dungeon (between Healing and Cure Critical Wounds).
- Make Heroism and Berserk Strength restore at minimum a % of hit points (20% for Heroism, 30% for Berserk Strength).
- Make potions of Life, when used when the character is at maximum hit points, reroll the character's life total, and use the new values, if they are higher than the current character's life total.
- Add a potion of Regeneration, which appears at the same depth as cure light wounds, but makes the character recovery health and mana rapidly for a short period of time.
- Add potions of Free Action and Resist Confusion/Hallucination.